Friday, February 22, 2013

Prom Dresses


I know prom is still two months away but right now is the perfect time to start looking! You need at least two months to look for a dress, get it fitted and altered, find shoes and jewelry, and plan out your makeup and hair. The whole month before prom I will be posting hair, makeup, jewelry, and shoes blogs with lots of pictures and links to videos on tutorials. I figured I would do dresses now so you can find your dress soon and have that stress lifted off your shoulders. Hair and makeup is easy compared to picking out the perfect dress. I’ve found mine and it feels awesome that I don’t have to continue looking. Usually for dances I find my dress last minute so it’s so unlike me to have mine already!
          Now down to business. There are many types of dresses. There are strapless, short, mermaid, high-low, and etc. The best way to find one is to decide what type of dress you want then go from there. That doesn’t mean you only have to look at that kind of dresses. At first I thought I wanted a mermaid dress but then I found a picture of a dress on Instagram so I made my boyfriend Google search the picture and now that’s my dress! Always keep your options open but if you do have a style you definitely want then searching for those kinds of dresses narrows your search a lot and makes it easier on you. One thing I don’t recommend is getting a dress based on a designer. It’s okay if you love a particular designer but if you only look at their dresses then you won’t get to see what other dresses are out there. And if it’s a very popular designer you like then you have a greater chance of someone else having that dress. Sherri Hill is extremely popular and while I did love her dresses, I knew other people would also be looking at her dresses. There’s no worse feeling then walking into prom and seeing someone with your dress on. There are lots of designers out there who make beautiful dresses that are affordable and original. Below is a list of designers that I think make amazing dresses.

Jovani (very popular)
Tony Bowls
Allure
Dave & Johnny
Sherri Hill (very popular)
La Femme
Blush
Night Moves

         These are just some designers. There are still hundreds of other designers you should check out. The best way to find your dress is to look online and see if any catch your eye. BUT do not order from online. There have been many of times where I found a dress online and when I went to go see it in person it looked completely different. This one time I even ordered one and it came in and was hideous. There has only been one time where I had to order a dress but I had witnesses tell me that it looked like the picture. It’s better to find the dress online then call around to see if anyone has the dress so you can check it out. And if they don’t have your size, oh well. Go see it and make sure it’s what you want then you can order it online in your right size. A lot of places may not let you return so it’s better to go see the dress even if you’re a size 2 and the dress is a 14. Promgirl.com is probably the best prom site. It has so many designers to look from and has almost all of their dresses. You can also go on the designer’s website to see all of their dresses in case a website doesn’t have them. Then you can look up dress shops around you and call and see if they have the dress you want. You want to call first. You don’t want to drive all the way to a dress store to find out they don’t have the dress you want. ALWAYS write down the style number. Now with all of these tips you can go and find your perfect dress! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment